Friday, February 20, 2009

My Mom

In 2005, my mom found a lump in one of her breasts. I remember the day she got the biopsy results as if it were yesterday.

It was December 28, 2005 (incidently, the same day I burned my hand in 2002) and my parents had just arrived at my house to spend a late Christmas with us. The kids were so excited to see Gramma and Papa pull up in front of our house knowing that they brought presents with them.

We had just sat down and the kids were ripping open presents when Mom's phone rang. We all knew the phone call was coming, but we weren't really prepared for the news that the lump was malignant. My mom, being the rock that she is, handled the news very well. I, on the other hand, did not handle it well at all. It all hit me that night as I was laying in my bed trying to fall asleep. I kept thinking about going to visit my dad and my mom wouldn't be there. Of course, I was thinking the worst. About that time, Lauren woke up and needed to be rocked back to sleep. As I was standing at her crib laying her back down, I looked down at my mom and started crying again. She asked me what was wrong and I completely broke down. I got on the bed with my mom as she laid there and comforted me and told me everything was going to be okay.

Of course, she was right. Everything turned out to be okay. She had the lump removed and went through several weeks of chemo and radiation. She finished her last round of radiation during the week of Thanksgiving 2006.

In 2008, she went back to her doctor for a routine check up. They found another lump in the same breast. This time, the biopsy came back benign, but since she had already had cancer in that breast she was considered high risk and the lump needed to come out. My mom and her team of doctors decided it would be in her best interest to have the entire breast removed.

Yesterday, my mom was checked into Scott & White Medical center and had a mastectomy. The surgery went fine and she is back in her motorhome recovering. She will be there for at least 2 weeks until the drain tube is removed.

I tell you, that woman is a rock! Everyone around her is so worried and concerned and all she can say is "It's just a boob". LOL

I love my mom!

1 comment:

  1. She is stronger then my mom was. Bless her heart! My mom took it as a huge loss...and my dad was not supportive at all. It was a tough time. I am glad to hear your mom is doing well, mentally and physically. She really is a very strong woman. You are lucky to have her. :)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete